Monday, January 9, 2012

The Hardest Part

So I've been following some blog prompts that have been posted by a Mommy Blogger I read. The prompt that got me thinking today was this, "What is the hardest part of parenting?"

There was a part of me that thought about the late night feedings (and in my current case, the sick child wake ups).  There was then another part of me that thought about discipline issues. 

But then I realized that it all boils down to one thing.  The hardest part of parenting is seeing your child hurting or thinking of the idea that your child might be hurt. 

For example, little girl is currently sick with a fever.  She's been eating (for the most part) and playing, but she just really wants to be cuddled and when anything doesn't go her way she whines/cries.  It just makes you sad for her because there is only so much you can do for her.

You feel bad for baby when she is crying and needs to go to bed, but swears she is not tired and that you don't know anything.  You feed bad when your baby cries when you take her away before she can eat cat food.  Yes, I know she is being manipulative.  No, it isn't going to make me let her eat cat food, but I will feel sad for her. 

I think about the things I will teach my daughter over years.  About the boys who could someday break her heart or the girl friends she may argue with or the times she will try something and fail.  There are times she will hurt and I will be able to nothing about it, and those will be long days for me.  She's my kid, while I hope she has more coordination that me, who knows.  She may have a broken bone in her future.  There are the times as a parent that you wonder if you are making the right decisions for your kid.  Did I say no enough?  Is she well mannered? Does she help others? 

Those are my thoughts.  Time to exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment